What is Gastric Plication?
Gastric Plication is an operation to reduce the size of the stomach and is an exciting advancement in the field of weight loss surgery. It is a restrictive procedure that reduces the size of the stomach in a minimally invasive way that does not involve any cutting.
By creating an internal fold, the stomach’s capacity is reduced by about 85%*.
By decreasing the size of your stomach, the amount of food you can consume is considerably reduced. You will experience a feeling of fullness after eating only a small portion of food and that feeling of fullness will last for longer.
* results may differ from person to person and wont be the same for everyone.
Is Gastric Plication suitable for me?
Gastric Plication may be a suitable option if you find it hard to maintain discipline with your diet and you would like a long term surgical option, but don’t want an implanted device such as a gastric band.
Gastric Plication is a long term procedure that can be reversed. It requires very little in the way of follow up or further intervention, so it is ideal for people who lead busy lives and for those who have limited mobility.
Gastric Plication is carried out under general anaesthesia in an operation that takes between 60 minutes and 90 minutes. Surgery is performed using laparoscopic (keyhole) surgery. During the procedure, the stomach is folded in on itself and sutured to stop it from returning to its normal size. Because your stomach remains intact, your body will fully absorb nutrients and the food you eat will pass through your digestive tract in the usual way.
You will follow a liquid only diet for the two weeks following your surgery. You will gradually progress to blended, then soft foods and then on to normal food in small portions. You are advised to take two weeks off work to ensure that you heal as quickly as possible.
You will have lots of support during this time. Our medical team will guide you through your dietary requirements and our support team will be on hand to keep you motivated. They will give you an unlimited amount of support for the full 12 months following your procedure.
Advantages of Gastric Plication
- Because no part of the stomach is removed, gastric plication may offer a faster recovery than more invasive procedures.
- No cutting of the stomach or intestines.
- The risk of complications is lower.
- The procedure can be reversed.
- No foreign devices are implanted.
- Nutrients are absorbed in the usual way, so there are no nutritional deficiencies.
- Few, if any, food restrictions.
- Offers more restriction than a gastric band.
- No further intervention is necessary and no adjustments are required (unlike the gastric band).