After sleeve surgery and going forward, your smaller stomach will only be able to hold around 2 - 5 ounces of fuel or food (that’s about the size of a tennis ball at best). You can expect to feel full and completely satisfied after eating a very small meal or snack, and continue feeling full for several hours after eating, decreasing your appetite dramatically over the following weeks.
Also, by removing the fundus (the part of the stomach that makes you feel hungry and your stomach gurgle), the growling and cravings are calmed, and you will naturally begin to lose those pesky pounds.
The gastric sleeve is a tool, not a magic trick or a quick fix, and to ensure that you succeed, you will need to remember that.
Your stomach can stretch in size over time if your continue to overeat, and of course if you continue to eat poor choices, the weight loss will be far slower, and you will not get the nutrients that your body will need to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
Choose wisely when you do eat, and you will achieve your weight loss goal!
Here are some of the smaller light bite choices some of our happy losers have mentioned lately:
- Mini Babybel Lights (one at a time)
- Mini Crustless Quiches (a third is usually enough)
- Chicken Skewers (2 or 3 at a time)
- Scrambled Eggs (just the one egg though)
- Boiled New Potatoes (just 3 or 4)
- Prawn Cocktail (starter size)
- Protein Shakes (sipped slowly)
- Fishfinger Sandwich (just the 2 and one slice of bread)
- Beans on Toast (one slice, ideally a single protein thin)
- Mini Scotch Eggs (3 or 4 at a time or ½ a normal one)
- KitKat Fingers (just the one though and this has to be a weekly treat!)
- Fresh Ham or Chicken with mayo (just a slice or two)
- Hummus and Carrot &/or Cucumber Slices
- Sandwich Fillers (eaten like you would a yogurt, a spoonful or two at a time)
Going forward you can still enjoy a regular consumption routine, only your portions will change considerably for the smaller and for the better! You can still have the odd glass of what you fancy too and even the odd small naughty treat - So, what’s not to like about taking the plunge and getting in touch!
Weight loss surgery is one of the fastest growing areas of private medicine in the United Kingdom. So, it really is no wonder that prospective patients become confused about which procedure to opt for and where to go for advice when they decide on surgery in the UK.
Here at NOSC we bring together seventeen of the finest hospitals and seventeen of the most skilled and experienced consultant surgeons and consultant gastroenterologists in the country for you!
Each surgeon and each hospital has to meet the criteria set out in our own minimum standards document. This ensures you that you will receive the highest level of care, where safety is always the first consideration. Want to know more or have a chat about your options? Why not give us a call on 0345 618 7276. We’re ready and waiting to help you become a whole new you!