Mr Kamal Mahawar
Prof. Kamal Mahawar is a Consultant General and Bariatric Surgeon at Sunderland Royal Hospital since April 2011 and a Visiting Professor at the University of Sunderland. He takes a significant interest in research into bariatric surgery and has led many international collaborations. He has co-authored over 175 peer-reviewed articles and multiple book chapters in prestigious titles including the Companion Series and Oxford Textbook of Surgery. He has also been awarded an honorary professorship by Shri Aurobindo Medical College & Postgraduate Institute, Indore (MP), India. Prof. Mahawar has delivered invited talks at many national and international conferences and has lectured in countries around the world including the USA, Germany, France, Belgium, Mexico, UAE, India, and Turkey. Prof. Mahawar is one of the highest volume bariatric surgeons in the United Kingdom with his volumes consistently above the 90th percentile according to the data published by the National Bariatric Surgery Registry. Professor Mahawar regularly performs sleeve gastrectomy, one anastomosis gastric bypass, roux-en-y gastric bypass, and revisional bariatric procedures of varying types. He leads the Tier 3 services at Sunderland Royal Hospital, which has consistently been one of the highest volume bariatric surgery centres in the UK for over a decade now.
- Mr Kamal Mahawar Graduated Kolkata Medical College in 1996 with multiple honours and medals
- Ranked first in the college in the final MBBS examination of the University and received the BC Roy award from Mr. I K Gujral, then Prime Minister of India.
- Mr Kamal Mahawar Obtained MS (Master of Surgery) in General Surgery from the Prestigious PGIMER in Chandigarh in 2000.
- Mr Kamal Mahawar Obtained MSc from Liverpool University with distinction
- He studied further surgical training in the Northern Deanery with a special focus on bariatric surgery, ultimately obtaining the Fellowship of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh (FRCSEd) in 2010
- Has nne of the highest volume bariatric surgeons in the United Kingdom with his volumes consistently above the 90th percentile
- He Leads the Tier 3 services at Sunderland Royal Hospital, which has consistently been one of the highest volume bariatric surgery centres in the UK for over a decade now.
- Mr Kamal Mahawar is the co-editor of “Journal of Bariatric Surgery” and an Associate Editor of “Obesity Surgery”, “Annals of Royal College of Surgeons England”, and “Clinical Obesity” and is on the editorial board of Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases (SOARD) and other journals.
- Mr Kamal Mahawar is the Founder and Chief Coordinator of the global society for Upper GI Surgery.
- Member of the council of the Association of Surgeons of Great Britain and Ireland (ASGBI) and is its Associate Director for conferences.
- On the Council of the British Obesity and Metabolic Surgery Society (BOMSS) and chairs its Patient Safety Committee.
- The Northern England representative on the council of the British Benign Upper Gastrointestinal Surgical Society.